25 before 25, apple picking, bff, BJJ, book catalogue, brazilian jiu-jitsu, bubble tea, Cat bff, cats are the best, default medals yay, fitness, forests, gi, goals, grappling, grappling industries, GTA classic, hiking, islands adventure, judo, Kate, lipstick, mental health, Moomins, Muumipappa ja meri, nails, nogi, oh man why are there so many cats in this post what, peaches, plank, safari, serious feels, suomi, thesis, Toronto Islands, what am i doing with my life?
In all honesty, stuck in a cloud of malaise. For the past few months, I’ve isolated myself and withdrawn from people. At first it wasn’t intentional, but then it persisted over time. I’ve been trying to get out and do things and see the people I care about but sometimes it’s difficult for me. This doesn’t reflect on the people (or outside)… it’s just something inside of me. Anyway, I guess this part of the post is a public apology for my behaviour. I’m trying to take ownership of it and move forward with my life.
Since my last post, I started doing more (Brazilian) jiu-jitsu and judo and grappling (at least attempting to complete some of my 25 before 25…). I really enjoy it, and I also competed twice, though I haven’t won a match yet (0-5, the best record). BJJ and judo have been positive influences and have helped me come to terms with my feelings in some respects. I have never really been athletic nor has my body accepted physicality and movement well, but I don’t mind. I just put the time in so I can get better. I want to do more competitions, but most of the upcoming ones coincide with things I can’t miss.
Anyway, I’m sitting here wondering what to write next.. I guess I’m going to post a series of photos that shows approximately what I’ve been up to when I’ve managed to leave the house:
In any case, I think it might be prudent too to review my 25 before 25:
1. Drawing from prompts every day: This one didn’t really work out so well, but I have been doodling on and off.
2. Read Muumipappa ja meri in Finnish: I’m not really that far in, and I haven’t read any for a while.
3. Finnish diary: Haven’t written in it for some time, but have actually written stuff, so that’s not bad, right?
4. Keep a scrapbook from January 2014 to January 2015: I have actually kept my scrapbook going, so A+ on this one.
5. Lift bodyweight: I haven’t been lifting for almost half the year now mostly because of money/time/locational issues. I’d rather do BJJ and judo and such, and my new gym doesn’t have a weight room, but that’s ok.
6. Improve my jiu-jitsu and grappling: I’ve been going pretty much every day to train BJJ and twice a week in judo. I feel that I’ve improved. 🙂
7. Catalogue my books: No way. Oops.
8. Make myself an item of clothing: There’s still time, and I do have the material…
9. Visit a country I haven’t been to before: I’d say South Wales, but since it’s a part of Wales and I went there last year, it doesn’t count. This one is probably not going to happen.
10. Finish writing up my safari in Tanzania: Still working on it. There’s a lot of photos.
11. Publish two to three papers: Kind of, I guess the ones I have count, since they were published after my birthday. Check mark!
12. Make macarons at least twice: I haven’t yet, but I will hopefully before my birthday.
13. Start a blog series: I guess I’ve done tea reviews, books I have recently read, and another kind of review series I’m posting soong (games I have recently played), so this is ok. Cool people I know has to wait, since I want to set out the parameters/questions for it.
14. Improve my plank: I’ve been doing circuits with *gasp* one handed planks. It’s going ok.
15. Do a pottery class: Not even close, but it’s going to probably carry over to next year’s list.
16. Wear all of my lipsticks at least once: I have done this, but I haven’t reviewed them. Maybe I’ll start a make up series?
17. Wear all of my nail varnishes at least once: Check and check. I’m doing nail looks that involve multiple colours so it’s easy to wear them all.
18. Find some sort of meaningful employment: Nope!
19. Try to get out of the house more: We all know how that’s gone for me…
20. Try to blog at least once a week: Oops.. well.. I tried.
21. Work on my short stories: I have been dabbling but haven’t produced anything yet.
22. Work on my novel outline and maybe start writing for NaNoWriMo: I have started the outline now but I didn’t write anything for NaNoWriMo last year – I am planning to this year, though.
23. Review the teas I drink: See my tea reviews series.
24. Make handmade pasta: There’s still time to complete this goal!
25. Successfully defend my Master’s thesis in the spring: This is a bit delayed but hopefully I’ll finish soon.
This is probably enough for now, but I’ll write more later.