26 before 26, academia, annus horribilis, being an adult is great, BJJ, blog posting, employment, feels, games, goal update, goals, grappling, handstand, judo, nails, new places, novel, papers, PhD, regular updates wat, steam backlog, updates, wardrobe, wrasslin, writing
I just wanted to do a quick update on my 26 before 26. I’m only going to comment on the goals I’ve made progress on, rather than taking up a load of space with stuff I haven’t gotten to yet. I feel pretty good about this year, unlike last year, which was probably my annus horribilis.
Anyways, an update to my goals:
1. Hit a sweet throw or takedown in BJJ competition. I have hit a few takedowns, but I’m not sure if I’d call them sweet. I want to really toss someone!
2. Keep my nails maintained and well groomed. I’ve mostly managed to keep to this, though there are times when my nails look a bit messy.
3. Find meaningful employment. I’m working now as a research assistant on an interesting project, and applying for PhD studentships, so we’ll see how it goes.
12. Find my camera and start taking more bird photos again. I found my camera, and I have taken some bird photos, but none I’d like to share yet.
13. Improve my wrasslin’ and grappling. I feel like I have improved, even if I have a long way to go. My coach says that I’m definitely doing better, especially with my aggression.
14. Do a handstand. I’ve kind of vaguely started on this. I found a good guide (I think) and I’m going to work on the mobility parts of it before I attempt the handstand. Hopefully it will help with my (admittedly terrible) shoulder flexibility too.
16. Finish three games on my Steam account that I haven’t played. I’ve actually already finished this by completing the Blackwell series, which I’ll post about in the future. I’m going to continue to try to finish games, though. I will probably do a Games I have recently played post soon.
17. Get into the PhD program of my choice. I have received some positive feedback, but I still need to apply, obviously.
20. Write a novel. I’ve continued to write bits and pieces here and there, but nothing really concrete.
21. Publish two or three more papers. I have several drafts, so this is going well.